Monday, July 26, 2010

Visiting Baltimore Orioles

I was out back yesterday & had a real treat. I get to see this year after year & it always pleases me to witness nature first hand.

Each year, at least once during the season of raising their young, the Baltimore Oriole parent birds bring their young & teach them to drink from the hummingbird feeders. Both the male & female Oriole have a hand in raising the young.

Depending on how many they children they have, they may bring them all to the front feeder just off the patio or the back feeder under the big tree. And sometimes, if there are a number of children, they will split them up & use both feeders, as was the case yesterday.

Papa took the back feeder with 2 & Mama took the front feeder with 2. This pair seem to have successfully raised at 4, at least this far down the road. It does not take them long to learn to drink from the feeders. Another day or so & I assume these young ones will be on their own as they are almost as big as the parents. If I am fortunate, I will see the immature birds for several days. They will hang around in the tree or in the bushes...and then they are gone.

We have had an abundance of Orioles this year. Hopefully, I will be out at the right time to get to see this again.

This is the last block of the pattern I have been tossing out here. I am probably no more near to deciding what to put with this than the man in the moon. I am leaning toward using the same blue as on the body of the birds as cornerstones....but that is a maybe....or maybe not.

It is probably a good thing I am more decisive in my day to day life than what I am in my quilting! :)

Ya'll have a good day & thanks for stopping by!

Block 12: "Charity", from the book: "Celebrations of American Life"

2 comments:

  1. Darn I was hoping for a pic of the babies. Beautiful block...again :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful block. I love the vibrant colors in this one. I enjoy birdwatching too. Winona

    ReplyDelete