Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Past Quilt

I made little to no progress with my curtain stitching yesterday.

My only living sibling( 4 1/2 years my senior) found that she must have cataract surgery. For goodness sakes, you would think it was open heart surgery. Never mind that I had cataract surgery ( a true miracle surgery as far as I am concerned) in 2005. As she told me in one of her many calls yesterday "Yes, but that was you having yours done...this is ME I am talking about!" I find her amusing in that no one has ever had anything to equal her maladies.

I am indeed poking fun at her. Do it all the time, though to her face. In truth, siblings are some of our best friends(can be) They know us as well as anyone, perhaps better than we know ourselves.

Since I have no px of accomplished stitching yesterday, perhaps you would like to see one of my very early attempts at applique. We still had the Lake House when this was made. I would leave it down there & only worked on it when there. It took probably a year to do since it was sporadic at best to get to stitch. Some of our happiest years were spent at that small little house.

This was made in 2002. It reminds me of carpets of wildflowers Nature scatters across her meadows in the spring, our first flowers of the season after the winter passes. I hope you might enjoy a 'quilt from the past'.


This is one of my favorite quilts & one of the few I have kept. I really taxed my brain to learn to do consistent blocks, circles & then tried to hone my skills at hand quilting. It is full of mistakes but I really learned a lot on this quilt. I seem to learn on each quilt I make & it is a good thing to always be learning in something I love to do.


"Wildflowers In Farm Meadows", needle turn applique, hand quilted, queen sized.

Close up:


6 comments:

  1. what a pretty quilt
    love the colors...
    is it a published pattern?
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda!
    No, to my knowledge, there is no published pattern. I always try to give credit to a designer.
    There are many very similar crossed wreath patterns that look a LOT like this. I did not have pattern when I made this.
    Thank you for stopping by!
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riley, That was your first try at needleturn applique??? You are amazing! It's absolutely perfect! Thanks for sharing the photo :)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that quilt..loved it when I first saw it and still do.

    I agree that cataract surgery has become miraculous. Tom and I both had it done last year. I remember what a big deal it was 40 years ago when I was a student nurse. Now it happens almost in the "blink of an eye".

    And my mother sounds a lot like your sister. Her maladies always trump everyone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Riley, I am amazed that this was your first try at needle turn applique. You have a gift, my dear, no doubt about it. The quilt is lovely. I hope you always keep it. I can tell from reading this that it holds some good memories for you. Have a great day. Winona

    ReplyDelete